Brooklyn Army Terminal and First Avenue

Last year, for some reason, I got a lot of sponsored ads on Facebook for the Brooklyn Army Terminal. So I took a trip down there. Disappointing.

There was nothing there, except the pier for the ferry and the view of the harbor, but there are other places to view the harbor, which are closer to the Statue of Liberty. There are also a bunch of blank, stark buildings down there. If there's anything in them, I saw no signage, and I wasn't going to snoop around uninvited at some place called an "Army Terminal". Maybe I missed out.

More interesting was the walk I took down the entire length of First Avenue. In hindsight, I wish I'd taken more pictures. First Avenue looks like something that hasn't moved out of the Post-war era. It's "riverfront" property that's overdue for a make-over and facelift. It's a prime spot for development and over-development. And when that finally happens, it will be a sad thing.

The only saving grace, in my mind, is that folks who buy apartments down there will have a killer walk uphill to the train (or sideways to the ferry).

The trip down First Avenue was mostly uneventful, in part because I skipped the best thing -- because I didn't know it existed. That will be a post on another day. The end of the road -- I can't say "end of the line" because I actually started at the end of the line! -- brought me to Costco and Industry City, so, yes, I had a flight a Big aLICe Brewing before heading home.

Since I don't have much to say about this trip, let me go back to my only First Avenue story: Years ago, I had to drop a couple of my in-laws off for an appointment at Lutheran Medical Center on Second Ave. I grabbed a hot cup of coffee, and waited in the car. The only spot I found was on First Avenue. I was there for about ten minutes when a tractor-trailer double parked, blocking me in. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if my phone rang for me to come around and get my in-laws.

However, after a few minutes, a horn starts blowing and a bell rings. Then the truck starts up and leaves.

And there, coming down First Avenue, was a Union Pacific diesel engine pulling a couple of cars. Sitting up front was a young guy with a horn. I've seen these tracks running all over these parts of Brooklyn my entire life. I couldn't say before then that I'd ever seen a train using any of them. (I remember it was Union Pacific because I had recently bought Union Pacific rolling stock for my model train set.)

Sadly this was back in the days before my phone had a camera on it.

Okay, some photos:





The tracks down First Avenue, leading into the Terminal. I didn't see any trains on this day.


Some shots of the harbor and the lower Manhattan skyline. Difficult to make out the Statute of Liberty. I'd later discover a better vantage point.



This shot is from the end of 39th Street.


Industry City is being revitalized and repurposed. Naturally, I had to stop there to cool off before I traveled home. 



I mean, it's one way to cool off. (And that odd-colored one, second from the right? Yeah, okay, glad I tried it, but no need to try another one. yeech.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3