Lady Moody Triangle, Gravesend

A few months back, I was assigned to work at a location at the edge of Bath Beach. I took the opportunity to walk some of the "West" streets into Gravesend.

Gravesend was one of the original villages that eventually combined to create Brooklyn. If you look at a map (see the Google Maps image), you can see what remains of some of the original streets, set at an angle to the rest of Gravesend, and to Bath Beach and Bensonhurst. Even more interesting is that square that just doesn't quite fit into the rectangular grid. However, I got to that another day.

Village Road North runs into Ave U and creates a triangle with Lake Street. I've passed it before but never really looked at it. I know this, because had I looked, I would've learned something.

I knew that Gravesend was an old village, but I never thought much about the name. It's located, more or less, near the end of Brooklyn. And I figured it had something to do with cemeteries. (Note: there are cemeteries there.)

However, thanks to the Lady Moody Triangle monument, now I know that it was named after the Gravesend area of London. Also, I learned that there's an area of London named "Gravesend". I wonder where it gets its name from.

Recently, I told someone jokingly, at least half-jokingly, that I should make a secondary goal of mapping out some of these "triangles" that exist around the borough. Many seem to be dedicated, and usually to someone local. I'll keep an eye out.

But that will have to wait for another day that I'm Walkin' in Brooklyn, aka "Mr. Burke walks".





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3