Stillwell Ave

I laugh now when I think about it, but my trip down the entire length of Stillwell Ave last June was my first "long" trip. Looking back, it wasn't really that long at all compared to some of my current outings. Even adding in walking down to the surf, and along the boardwalk and part of Ocean Parkway, it wasn't a long route.

Stillwell Ave runs a little over two miles from Bay Parkway and Bay Ridge Parkway (75th Street) down to the Coney Island Boardwalk. This was the first time I'd every walked to Coney Island. Before that, I tended to follow bus routes, in case I got tired. That meant taking a longer route, so naturally I convinced myself I was tired by the time a bus came along. Not to mention, prior attempts were usually in the summer in the middle of the day. This one was early June, midmorning, and partially shaded by the elevated train.

I actually did think to take some pictures on my phone that day, which wasn't easy because my glasses polarize, and the phone display is difficult to see outside even they aren't.


Starting off, Bay Ridge Parkway gives way to Stillwell Ave at Bay Parkway.




It's literally only a short couple of blocks to reach Kings Highway. This is a a block away from the public library, and the now-closed Del Rio Diner (which was featured in an episode of The Blacklist).


We started at 75th Street, and now approach 86th Street, but we're walking on a diagonal. At the same time, we've traveled three additional numbered avenues on the right, as well as a number of lettered avenues on the left.


A quick shout out to two of my previous work locations: Kingsborough Early College Secondary School (at Lafayette High School campus), and John Dewey High School.


It's a long stretch between Bay 50th Street and Ave Z. It's an even longer stretch from Ave Z down to Neptune Ave. Along the way, we pass under the Belt Parkway, and cross over Coney Island Creek. At the point, the D train has veered of to the left. It's in the distance, past the chain-linked fence.


Almost there. Had we taken the train (which I usually do when I just want to walk the Boardwalk), we would have emerged from the Stillwell Ave station. Technically, it's not a terminal because the tracks continue in a loop. Across the street, Nathan's famous. I didn't stop in because I wasn't finished yet.


End of the line, and a look back from the Boardwalk. Admittedly, you can't see very far from there.

Finally, there's no point in coming this far without heading down to the water and thinking about what lies beyond!
(Jersey, actually. Were you to jet ski in a straight line from Stillwell Ave, you'd probably hit Sandy Hook, or pass along the coast.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3