Bush Terminal Park


Later in the day, after I'd gone to the Brooklyn Army Terminal, someone online asked me if I went to Bush Terminal Park. To which I responded, "What?"

Apparently, I had walked past another entrance to the Brooklyn waterfront and hadn't noticed it. In retrospect, mind you, I actually did notice an entrance. I just didn't think it was a public entrance to a public park.

Let me start by saying that this first picture was one of the last ones I took. This entrance is not visible from First Avenue. It's off the beaten path.


Since I was coming from the higher-numbered streets, I saw this, which I assume is the "back entrance", first. I have driven into this parking lot many times (there was a store there I used to go to, but I'm not legally allowed to talk about anymore). I never saw this sign and never knew that there was a road open to the public here. 



Interestingly, Google Maps shows the 50th Street continues below 1st Avenue and then turns north, parallel to the avenue. I knew about this the first time, but I didn't see any 50th Street on the waterfront side. It was behind the fence. This is it, but it isn't labeled as such.


Walking down the road leads to these views of the Manhattan skyline, Liberty Island and New Jersey. Unfortunately, my pics of the Brooklyn shore didn't come out. Someone stuck a finger in front of the camera when I held the phone out differently. (whistles)



Looking back at Bush Terminal.



This pier wasn't open. Pity.

The terminal on the other side of the park fence.




One last shot of the skyline and Lady Liberty.



Finally a walk through Bush Terminal to the exit. A dedication to Fallen Heroes. And now I know who Bush Terminal was named for. 

 



Walking across the tracks. 

And, yes, I walked down to Industry City before catching the train home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3