Back to Bay Ridge

I got the early service for Ash Wednesday, and I then found myself near the B4 bus line with a bus approaching. I took the opportunity to ride down to Bay Ridge. (Or is it up? Or over?) And from there, I filled in a little more of my Walkin' Brooklyn map. In particular, all the numbered streets from 84th down to 75th (Bay Ridge Parkway), from Ridge Blvd to Third Avenue, which the exception of 75th steet where I needed the 3rd-4th Ave block as well.

Once again, the above screenshot was taken from the Map My Walk app. I don't get paid for mentioning it, but the Under Armour logo is in the shot, so I should acknowledge it.

It was a pretty straightforward walk, with a lot of downhill and then uphill. No side streets and nothing out of the ordinary, except it was a little chilly. That in itself isn't odd for February, but it was odd for this February. Nevertheless, I did take a few pictures of a few homes.

This first building caught me offguard. It's a residential side street, but this looks like a place where you could hold weddings. And maybe you can, but the parking would be a major hassle, and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it.

Those big windows might be get for letting the sun in, except that it's just a little past 9am and the sun is already behind the house, where it will remain for the rest of the day. Granted, summer time may be different, but I don't imagine it'll get more than a few hours of sunlight in the morning. Enough to wake you early, of course.

If anyone knows about this building and whether it's a function space, please leave a comment.


There's a pair of homes here, but I focused on the first one. The houses down here are old but come in a lot of different styles. I have to say that turrets with pointy tops stand out with me. They give it a "my home is my castle" charm, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I did stop to see if the turret had a different staircase or if it was accessible from the area behind the windows next to it. Despite the optical illusion (and there may be no illusion outside of my poor eyesight), I'd imagine that they're connected by a door and they're on the same level.


Finally, one more home that was bigger than those around it and seemed designed as an event space. That's purely a guess based on the functional look of the building facade. I had to edit this photo because I overcompensated for the slope by about 2 degrees (according to my paint program). While I was at it, I wiped the address. I don't know what etiquette is about such things, but it seemed to be prudent.

Again, if anyone knows anything about this building, feel free to comment.


And that's about it. I finished on 84th Street and hooked over to 86th and up 4th Avenue just in time to catch a B1 bus starting its run.

The most difficult part of this walk was passing Bagel Boy and a few other places and wanting desperately to stop in and grab something. But as I said at the start, it was Ash Wednesday, and as an observing Catholic, I was fasting and couldn't eat anything outside of three small meals. And even on days when I fall short of that goal, I try to make it past 9:30 am!

The cold and damp weather turned me off from doing another walk later in the week, so I'll be back to my usual after-work treks next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3