Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3

Part 3 of filling in this section of Sheepshead Bay had me walking up Sheepshead Bay Road, and down East 11 Street, with a side quest down Lancaster Ave and back along Crawford Ave. Those two avenues are three blocks long, much larger than the average block breaker.

I'm not done with Sheepshead Bay by any means. Just this section.

The above map is a screenshot of the Map My Walk app, taken last Thursday, March 2, 2023.

I started by walking up Sheepshead Bay Road where Ave Z cuts two triangular plots of land, like a bowtie. Only one has any greenspace though.


Sheepshead Bay Rd merges into E 13th Street, which held a surprise for me. I saw a street sign for Margaret Court. I crossed over to look for this hidden street. On a map, I would've mistaken it for an alley full of garages or parking spaces.

As you can see below, it has two rows of homes, which are numbered 1-22 for this block. Not 1301 - 1222 (for E13 St), nor 2501-2522 (for Ave Y). I tried to Google the block, but I only got real estate listings for several of the properties. Nothing about who Margaret was or how this little street remained.

There is no outlet, so I had to double back to get out of it.

I was able to find an old map of Brooklyn from the New York Public Library. (This is another Google problem -- most of the results were maps *for sale*.) Margaret Court doesn't exist yet, along with many of the other street. This is long ago enough that Coney Island is still an island. Also of note is that Lancaster and Crawford Aves are only two blocks long.

At Ave Y, I veered to the left back where Sheepshead Bay Road picked up again. There's another triangle of land with an intersection for traffic to go from SB Rd to E13. It's not a proper street and doesn't have a name, but I walked it anyway.

At Ave W, Sheepshead Bay Rd basically turns into Gravesend Neck Rd to the north. Ave W is to the left, but to the right Ave W also becomes Gravesend Neck Rd. It's a strange change of road names.

One block west brought me to East 12th Street where Lancaster Ave begins. It runs to Ocean Parkway. I took two shots of the sign, but both came out blurry. Oops.

A block down from there, Crawford Ave brought me back to E12 St.

Heading south on East 11 Street brought me to Williams Ct and then Gilmore Ct.

And, once again, back to the hospital to catch a bus home. Thankfully there's a path under the overpass, which I almost didn't see. I made it to the bus stop with a few minutes left to get my free transfer home. (It took about an hour to get to Sheepshead Bay Road from work.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen