Ave N and Kings Highway

I haven't updated this blog in quite a while. Partly it was because I was taking a lot of pictures on my phone and they're a pain to transfer. And partly because there are other blogs doing the same thing that are probably more entertaining or have more information.

For any newcomers, I'm a walker. My father had me and my borther walking all of this city from an early age. I take a lot of walks, particularly in the summer (I'm a teacher), and I got tired of walking the same curcuit about my neighborhood, so started branching out. In May 2019, I started tracking where I was walking. Then the pandemic hit, and I found myself with a lot more time to walk.

I'm still walking.

On Monday, January 30, 2023, I walked a section of Ave O that I hadn't walked already. Then I walked a bit up Kings Highway until I reached Ave N. At that intersection, there's a small triangle of land, created along with E31 Street. I have thought about the idea of documenting these triangular patches of land, but that's not likely to happen.

In this corner, there's a flag and monument for Marine Major Eugene T. McCarthy. I paused there a moment to pay my respects and thank him for his service.

I looked up the man, who was born in Brooklyn, and found the following:

Maj. Eugene Thomas McCarthy, a Marine Corps reservist and Drug Enforcement Administration agent who was killed in action in the Persian Gulf War. He is remembered as a gung-ho warrior who thought he could serve his country best by "being where the war was." McCarthy, a helicopter pilot, died Feb. 2, 1991 when his Cobra gunship crashed while he was flying a mission in support of ground troops in Saudi Arabia.

Here are some pictures from today's walk. The map image is a screenshot of Map My Walk.



I also write Fiction!


You can now order Devilish And Divine, edited by John L. French and Danielle Ackley-McPhail, which contains (among many, many others) three stories by me, Christopher J. Burke about those above us and from down below.
Order the softcover or ebook at Amazon.

Also, check out In A Flash 2020, by Christopher J. Burke for 20 great flash fiction stories, perfectly sized for your train rides.
Available in softcover or ebook at Amazon.

If you enjoy it, please consider leaving a rating or review on Amazon or on Good Reads.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3