Georgetown / Bergen Beach

I don't know what neighborhood I walked this past week (Wednesday, July 17, 2024), just that it was by the pool store. The store is in Bergen Beach, but if you look at the map, my travels took me closer to Georgetown, which is an area that I know is "over there" (waving hand non-specifically in its general direction) without knowning exactly where. I haven't had much reason to visit there in decades. (There used to be a yarn shop. There still might be one, but I haven't been brought there. And there are closer IHOPs as well.)

My original plan had been to walk a simple rectangle along Avenue N, which branches north suddenly from the rest of Ave N and then to come back on Avenue T, which in that area is actually one block away. Instead, I started strolling up and down all the sides streets which probably tripled my walk. My reason for being in the area was the pool store, which was already open, but there was another place (see below) that wouldn't be open until 11 am.

As you can see from the first photo, Avenue N makes a sharp left, leaving the "grid", while the stree that used to be Avenue N continues on as Veterans Ave. (I've walked this before.) As soon as you step onto Avenue N, you'll see the firehouse. I had to get a picture of the fire house.


I didn't get far before I got to some private roads. No parking and all that. Usually when I see streets like there, it turns out that they're the backyards and garages for the houses on the adjacent blocks. But these buildings had fronts on the private streets along with addresses, so I'm not exactly sure of the development situation here. (Yeah, I could "Google it", I suppose. I choose not to.)

Peri Lane was the first street to say that it was part of a condiminium complex. There was even a gate for the road in, but it was open. Since it had a street name, a paved road, and house fronts, I strolled to the end of the lane and back again. I could've skipped it but I was feeling rebellious. Or something.

A few more street brought me to Bergen Ave. I walked to down to a private street named Cove Lane, which runs for a single block through a development right at the end of Avenue N. As luck would have it, this one street had gates on both sides and they were closed. As I passed the first one, I saw a car getting ready to exit, but I walked off before he opened the gate (electronically, from within his car). I could see that there was another gate at the far end and I didn't want to get locked inside. There were also signs ordering all guests to go immediately to the address that they were visiting. Must be a fun place to deliver pizza to.

I walked back up to Royce Place and down Royce Street. I snapped a pic of the fenced off lane and went back down Ave N, veering off to get a couple of side streets that I'd skipped before I changed my plans.

And that brought me back to the reason I was in the neighborhood. I needed shock for the pool and a new skimmer. And, hey, would you look at that! There's an ice cream place right next to the pool store. Location! Location! Location!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospect Heights: Atlantic, Pacific, Bergen

Sheepshead Bay, Part 3 of 3