Foster Ave / E25 St / E 23 St / Dorchester

Welcome to folks who found this blog from one of my reels on Instagram or Tik Tok! Yes, I fell behind a couple of months over the summer.

The walks from Canarsie continue, and Brooklyn starts to seem even smaller -- even though it was six and a half miles! If I'm not mistaken, I had to do E 25th Street because I walked the wrong street on an earlier walk (I went past it to E26), but the other streets were leftovers and on the way to the B/Q lines.

Here are two street videos I took for Instagram and Tik Tok. I might as well post them here, too.

...

Our story opens at the triple junction of East New York, Brownsville, and Canarsie (or thereabouts) at the New Lots Avenue station on the L train. The windows are worthy of a photo. And then it was a walk down a less creepy, but still creepy block of Van Sinderen Ave to get to Linden Blvd and then another block to DeWitt Ave. There's an unnamed triangular park (a Greenstreets space) and the street over here is also Van Sinderen. Then instead of Avenue D, I was going south down Bank Street, which ended when it curved right into Foster Ave.

There are a few blocks that connect Avenue D and Foster Ave, and I didn't walk them the last time, so I had to do them now. The first two were E 105 St and E 101 St. E 100 Street is only a few feet long before it becomes private.

I didn't realize that to my south E 105 St was an actual pedestrian block, not just a plaza for the L train. Next time that I there I'm going to have to exit the train on the north side, walk about a half block, then turn around, climb all the steps back up to the train station, and then exit on the south side to continue whatever walk that'll be!

I skipped E 99 Street because it's a longer stretch, and I already had a long walk ahead of me.

I continued down Foster past Rockaway Parkway, and then it expanded a bit with I got to Remsen Ave. Re-entering civilization, I guess.

Foster Ave, part 1, ends at Kings Highway, which seems like something you learned about in Geology class. Foster Ave (like many of the blocks here) shifts to the north a couple of blocks. I had to pass Faragut Rd on the left and Preston Court on the right before I got to Foster Ave (on the left). I hit Paerdegat Park at Albany Ave. I'd been walking a while, so I just took pictures. I didn't stop in.

Onward until I reached what would be the end of the line for me: Flatbush Ave. Foster Ave continues past Flatbush all the way to McDonald Ave, but I've walked that section before. Instead, I turned north to finish off those few blocks of E 25 St that I had left. Then it was back down E 23 St, then back up and east on Vanderveer Place, a one block street between E 23 and Flatbush. Crossing the avenue, I made my way over to Dorchester to finish the final leg, arriving at the B/Q station. I've taken to riding back to Atlantic for a D train home rather than down to Kings Highway to board a crowded bus. It's more relaxing really, and the timing is comparable.

And that's it for this trip. Come back soon.

Following me at @mrburkemath on Instagram for more timely images!

All of the above photos and videos, unless otherwise stated, were taken by Christopher J. Burke and are subject to copyright.

MY NEWEST BOOK IS AVAILABLE NOW!

7 Flashes of Science Fiction: When the day comes that humans head out into the stars, will we understand the messages we receive in space from alien civilizations? Or will the day come that aliens walk among us freely and openly on the streets on Manhattan? Will technology take over our lives to the point where we feel for it should it break down? Can dimensions be unfolded within tiny spaces yielding results that were not meant to be known?

And what if we had to leave it all behind and start over?

Explore the magic and wonders that space, time, and other dimemsions have to offer with 7 Flashes of Science Fiction.


My older books include three more books in my Burke's Lore Briefs series, and the anthologies A Bucket Full of Moonlight and In A Flash 2020.

Vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, used-car salesmen, fairies, superheroes, space and time travel, and little gray aliens talking to rock creatures and living plants.

Plus pirates, spies, horror, and kindergarten noir!

If you enjoy my books, please consider leaving a rating or review on Amazon or on Good Reads. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeSales / MacDougal / Hull / Somers / Truxton

Carroll / Crown / Ford Streets

A Short Walk Around the Brooklyn Botanic Garden