Weirfeld St / Boyland / Herkimer St
This was an interesting walk because I had already walked a big chunk in the middle of it, the part that connected two places I hadn't been before. One of the problems with the Bushwick streets was that they didn't all feed directly into a Bedford-Stuyvesant street, either N-S or E-W, so I skipped a few. And then mistakes were made when retracing my steps.
Weirfeld St was the last of these skipped streets, but once I got to Broadway (a short walk), I had no place to go, and the train ride home from there would've been long. On the other hand, the A train wasn't that far away. This gave me the opportunity to walk some of these one-block streets that connect Herkimer and Atlantic Avenue.
To be honest, one of the reasons that I haven't walked either one of those streets yet was because I hadn't figured out how to divide up those streets. How can I minimize walking back and forth? I didn't want any three-mile walk turning into five miles or more.
...I started at Weirfeld and Wyckoff, heading toward Broadway. After a block or two, the houses change a little, so I took a second photo.
I've passed Saint Martin of Tours at Kinickerbocker Ave before, but I took another picture.
Across from Saint Martin of Tours is Irving Square Park, Bushwick's Town Square. The park dates back to the 19th century and is likely named for Washington Irving.
Four blocks and a couple photos later, and I crossed Broadway and turned down Thomas S. Boyland St.
I omitted pictures from Thomas S Boyland because I've walked this street before. However, it was the quickest way to get from Part 1 of my walk to Part 2, which was the side streets between Herkimer and Atlantic Ave, near Broadway Junction. One of the reasons that I've been putting off Atlantic Ave it that I knew I had to coordinate when I'd walk each block so I wasn't circling around a lot.
The streets I hit this time were Gunther Place, Marconi Place, Radde Place (where I found a set of Harry Potter books and the first three books of a seven-book manga series), Roosevelt Place, Louis Place (which had a very narrow community garden), Dewey Place, Bancroft Place, and Prescott Place.
After that, I saw the wait for a C train and decided it'd be quicker to the A train at Utica Ave. I'm not sure that I saved time or caught an earlier A train, but it felt productive.
And that's it for this trip. Come back soon.
Following me at @mrburkemath on Instagram for more timely images!
All of the above photos and videos, unless otherwise stated, were taken by Christopher J. Burke and are subject to copyright.
|
My older books include three more books in my Burke's Lore Briefs series, and the anthologies A Bucket Full of Moonlight and In A Flash 2020. Vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, used-car salesmen, fairies, superheroes, space and time travel, and little gray aliens talking to rock creatures and living plants. Plus pirates, spies, horror, and kindergarten noir! If you enjoy my books, please consider leaving a rating or review on Amazon or on Good Reads. Thank you! |
![]() |
![]() |
|
|
|









Comments
Post a Comment