Downtown Brooklyn / Fort Greene

There was no video, because of all the winding streets at the beginning that I got to Sands Street, I just forgot.

Summer is getting away from me, and I'd like to catch up quickly on some of these walks, so I'm going to speed through the trip here rather than annotate all of the photos.

Also, welcome to any viewers who found their way here through Tik Tok, Instagram, or any of the other social media sites that I've posted images and videos to!

I got out of the train on Brooklyn Bridge Blvd, which is odd to see on the map, because I always knew this block at Adams Street. I don't know when the name was changed. I made my way over to Cadman Plaza East so I could get to the other side of the bridge and the highway because I needed to get to Sands Street. There's actually a tiny isolated street off CPE labeled Sands Street, which was probably a remnant of the damage Robert Moses did.

From there, it was a left on Prospect Street and then another left on Adams Street -- they didn't bother to change the name on this side. This got me to what I thought was the start of Sands Street, except for that other little bit. This is where I would normally film my little video clip, but with all the navigating I did, I forgot. Oops.

From there, I passed under the Manhattan Bridge overpass and continued east until I hit Navy Street and the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Kings County Distillery has a bar there, but I didn't stop in.

A right on Navy Street brought me past the Wegman's that opened in Brooklyn. I still haven't been in there, but at least I know where it is now. And then it was onto PARK AVENUE! No, seriously, there's one in Brooklyn, too. I walked along here many times when I first started going from Williamsburg to Atlantic Ave (Barclays Center), but I never finished it. Today was the day.

After circumnavigating Commodore Barry Park, I made it up N. Ellitot Place, down N. Portland Ave, up N. Oxford St, and down just plain Cumberland Street.

But wait! There's More!

Crossing over to the other side of Park Ave, I doubled back to N Portland Ave, which I followed south to Myrtle Ave and Fort Greene Park. A quick about face brought me to Auburn Place. (I skipped the large number of "walks" in the areas between the housing.) I followed St. Edwards St. back up to Park Ave, even though it didn't look like an actual street on the map. (It had lanes for cars.) And then south past Myrtle Ave to the start of Willoughby Street. I grew up knowing Willoughby Street was in Downtown Brooklyn, but I've learned in the past decade that it's Willoughby Ave on the east side of Fort Greene Park.

Once I reached Flatbush Ave, I turned north. There's a closed off street here. Google Maps doesn't even bother telling you the name of it. I had to check the information of a store there to see that it's Prince Street, which picks up again north of Myrtle Ave. This leads into another narrow lane, Fair Street, which only runs as far as Fleet Place.

Up and down Fleet Place, past University Plaza, and it was back to DeKalb Ave, the train station, and a subway home.

>

And that's it for this trip. Come back soon.

Following me at @mrburkemath on Instagram for more timely images!

All of the above photos and videos, unless otherwise stated, were taken by Christopher J. Burke and are subject to copyright.

MY NEWEST BOOK IS AVAILABLE NOW!


Burke's Lore Briefs: Yesterday's Villains, the following to Tomorrow's Heroes is now available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited.

If Heroes who don't die live long enough to become the villain, what happens to Villains who live long enough? When do schemes of global conquest become dreams of a quiet place away from all those annoying people you once wanted to subjugate? And does anyone really want to rule over the world's ashes if it means we can't have nice things?


My older books include three more books in my Burke's Lore Briefs series, and the anthologies A Bucket Full of Moonlight and In A Flash 2020.

Vampires, werewolves, angels, demons, used-car salesmen, fairies, superheroes, space and time travel, and little gray aliens talking to rock creatures and living plants.

Plus pirates, spies, horror, and kindergarten noir!

If you enjoy my books, please consider leaving a rating or review on Amazon or on Good Reads. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeSales / MacDougal / Hull / Somers / Truxton

Carroll / Crown / Ford Streets

A Short Walk Around the Brooklyn Botanic Garden